How To Post On Craigslist
If you intend to use craigslist to promote your business, be warned, it is NOT easy to post your ads on this highly traffic-ed website. Using craigslist as an online marketing strategy can be very profitable, and as it is free to post ads on craigslist, it is also a very attractive one.
The Problem With Craigslist Marketing
Craigslist hates Internet marketers and does everything it can to KEEP YOU OUT. Well that might sound a little harsh, but it is true.
Craigslists creator started the site as a hobby and a service with the intention of providing free locality specific classified advertising.
The operation of craigslist includes a team of professional programmers who work on creating cookies, filters and ghosting protocol. This protocol is being constantly updated and enhanced to make it harder and harder for the online marketer to post on craigslist. This is the problem with marketing on cragislist.
I am not knocking it. Craig has every right to run his site exactly how he see’s fit. This is a perfectly legal procedure and part of the terms of service. Plus, they do a heck of a good job at keeping the ‘spammers’ at bay.
Craigslist still runs today as a .org domain name, so it is considered a not for profit site, but if you can manage to get your ads to stay on craigslist, then it will definitely be to your business profits.
What You Need To Know Before You Use Craigslist
- Even though craigslist is a free classified advertising site you will need to invest time and or money into your marketing campaign to see any results.
- As the ghosting programs are being constantly updated, so to does your craigslist advertising routine. Be prepared for this.
- The steps outlined for you in this hubpage are as accurate and detailed as possible. You may need to use a mix of the techniques and tips as explained below in order to stop your ads from ghosting.
How To Post On Craigslist
- The first thing to do in the, how to post on craigslist action steps, is to consider how many phone numbers you have access to. The current account creation process requires a valid phone number to be entered. Once you work through the sign up process you will receive a phone call or text message with a validation code.
- If you have access to 10 different phone numbers than you will need to set up 10 different emails. Go to http://www.gmail.com and setting up your free 10 email accounts here. Do not use any other free email accounts other than gmail. Once have 10 different email account that you use everyday to post from. You are essentially set up for 10 days or 2 weeks.
- Once you have set up your email accounts, go to Craigslist and create 10 accounts with Craigslist. Go to http://www.craigslist.org/. Click on my account on the left hand side. You will see a place where you can log in. Underneath that, it says don’t have an account – Click on that. Follow the instructions. Once you get to a certain point, it will ask you to put a phone number in. Once you put that phone number in, you will receive either a phone call or text with the code you will need to enter into Craigslist in order to have a valid Craigslist account
- Fourth, you need to set up your ads. Never post the exact same ad twice – this includes your headline. Duplicate posts are NOT permitted on Craigslist. Try writing 10 ads and then sit down and try and get 10 different variations out of your original ads. This gets you 100 different ads! A common variation on the headline is to place a bunch of letters and numbers at the end. For example if your headline reads “Best Beef Jerky” alter it like so, “Best Beef Jerky________7r4f6FDe” & “Best Beef Jerky________Hw84HpF8”
Now here are some ideas if you don’t have access to a lot of phone numbers:
1. Use your work number.
2. Use your home number
3. Use your cell number
4. Use your significant other’s cell number
5. Use your significant other’s work number
6. Go to a payphone that accepts incoming calls and use that phone number.
You may need someone at your computer to put the number in but then you can stand there and wait for the phone to ring and get the phone number.
7. Ask a few close friends if you can use their number.
8. Partner up with someone in your industry and brainstorm other idea’s. Perhaps one is willing go to a local train station of somewhere there’s a heap of public phones, while the other does the online work. This might sound like a ‘desperate’ step, however it could turn out to be a very profitable partnership. Use your network and close business contacts.
Repeat the process 10 times. Remember, you will need to go to each email account that you have set up and click on the link that Craigslist sends to each email account to activate each individual Craigslist account.
How Many Ads Can I Post On Craigslist?
This is a topic for debate, but unless you are using auto posting software and are changing your IP address regularly (perhaphs every 3-5 ads) you should only post 3 ads every 48 hrs from one Craigslist account.
If you post 3 ads on the same day from the same Craigslist account, your last 2 ads will get ghosted.
Clearing Your Internet History, Cookies & Temporary Passwords
When you active or log into your Craigslist account the site places cookies on your computer. Now, if you don’t know much about cookies, they basically read, record and track data while you are browsing. Cookies are used commonly online and are a natural part of online technology – there is no need to fear. Cookies are not like a virus so will not do damage to your computer.
So why information on cookies? Well all you need to know with regards to cookies and posting on Craigslist is that you must clear them after finishing with each account. You should also clear your browsing history, temp passwords and temp internet files.
Following is a suggestion for html coding when posting your craigslist ad….
….<p style=”COLOR: #f5fff0″> enter the text that you want to be hidden here </font>
<font color=”lightgoldenrodyellow”> enter visable ad text here </font>
<font color=”honeydew”> enter visable ad text here </font>….
Remember that craigslist changes it’s cookies and spam filtering rhythyms faster than I change my hair color, so what will work for you one day may not work the next.